Friday, October 14, 2016

Everything you wanted to know about dialysis

I lied to you yesterday. The picc line for drawing blood was not put in yesterday. It was supposed to be inserted today, but plans were changed again. They have stopped the intravenous antibiotic and are now giving the antibiotic in pill form. He is scheduled for another round of hemo dialysis tomorrow.

The head of the Transplant unit paid a visit this afternoon. He is still very optimistic about the kidney's viability. They have stopped giving my Sweetie any form of aspirin in the chance they may perform a kidney biopsy on Tuesday. They took another ultrasound of the kidney this morning. They are bringing in the cardiology department for a consult. More news to follow.


My older son called last night to inform us that his nephrologist is going to insert a catheter into my son's  abdomen by Christmas in preparation for peritoneal dialysis. This is done by putting solution into the peritoneum and then draining out the waste while he sleeps at night. The flowing in of solution and draining out again is controlled by a computer at his bedside. This is how my husband started his dialysis many years ago. In the meantime, my middle son (the one who lives here) is preparing to go through all the testing to see if he would make a good donor. It is a long process. I went to Ottawa many times over the course of a year before my Sweetie's transplant was done. Keeping our fingers crossed that he can be a donor and that the screening process doesn't take as long. Science has come a very long way in only a generation.  By doing peritoneal dialysis every night at home, my son can still work every day and lead an almost normal life.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update. The news sounds encouraging both from the Head of the Transplant team and from the fact that they're giving him antibiotics orally now, I would think?

    I hate that your oldest son is going through this too now. It is amazing that he is able to undergo the dialysis at home while he sleeps. I would imagine this is hugely stressful for all of you, though.

    Was your middle son tested to make sure he's not at risk for the same disease? I know you said it was hereditary but I can't find the email you had sent me explaining all of this. It's very brave and generous of him (as it was of you) to volunteer to be a donor for his brother.

    I hope you all have a good weekend and continue getting better. Hugs to all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My second son had the preliminary tests before he could volunteer his kidney. That is, that he has two healthy kidneys with no signs of disease AND blood typing.

      Peritoneal dialysis is a good thing, BUT it is every single night and there is still a high risk of infection. A donor kidney would be ideal.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the update, Susan, and all the information. I hope all will be well with you and your entire family. (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bless. Thinking of you tonight and your prayer meeting with that lovely dinner afterwards. Hope everything goes well.

      Delete