Tuesday, October 11, 2016

I see some improvement


My Sweetie had a procedure done today which is in preparation for dialysis. The fistula in his arm has grown over, now that he has not had dialysis for over seven years, so they had to insert a central venous catheter into his neck. The kidney is still not working. His potassium levels and creatin levels are extremely high. The transplant team still thinks his (my) kidney is still viable, so we are hoping this will be only be required for the short term. We are both okay with this. Remarkably, he is much more responsive today. He was alert and he wasn't sleeping all day. They have moved him to another wing of the hospital where I expect he will stay another week or two. I don't even feel the need to go in tomorrow until he is moved back into his room around noon. Dialysis generally takes about four hours, three times a week. He will either sleep or watch some television, so I will probably stay home in the morning to try and get some work done.

The infection in his lungs is well on its way to improvement. I didn't hear any cough today and his breathing is so much better. Tonight I felt very tired on my way home from Kingston. I think it is a rush of relief after such a long period of stress and worry. I should sleep very well tonight.

4 comments:

  1. Susan, thank you for the update. I am so glad to hear that your Sweetie was more responsive and alert, today. I am sure that was a great relief to you. The CVC he had inserted sounds like the port catheter I have, through which I received my chemo.

    I hope you have a good night's sleep and a quiet morning. Take care. (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very much like a PICC line for chemo. The nurses kept referring to it as a PICC line, but because of the placement of these CVCs there is a higher risk of infection. So we really hope that they will not have to use it for very long. They have moved his dialysis to this afternoon now, so I will rethink when I go in today...maybe this morning?

      Delete
  2. This is encouraging, Susan. I hope that the kidney starts working again soon and that you get some rest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is very encouraging. Overall, he is feeling much better, except that his potassium and creatinine levels are rising. His doctors still feel his kidney is not in rejection.

    ReplyDelete