Monday, October 17, 2016

Not the Best Start to a Week

I drove to the Lakefront parking lot this morning by ten o'clock. I waited about 15 minutes for a space to open up for me,because they were all full up. I paid my $3 for 3 hours and went inside to visit with my Sweetie. I could tell he was still tired from his outing yesterday, but we started playing a game of cards before he wanted to lie down and take a nap. I started knitting a new dishcloth because I finished the first one yesterday.

After lunch, at one o'clock, I went down to feed the meter again. I put in $3 for 3 hours and placed it on the dashboard, when I saw this ticket under my windshield wiper. NOT happy. My parking stub said I was good until 1:22 My new parking stub said I was good until 4:22  How do I get a parking ticket for being 2 minutes to the good? I was livid.

Meanwhile, the cardiologist came in to examine my husband and talked about his candidacy for another assistive device for his heart. but the infection must be gone completely and the kidney needs to come back fully. They are talking 6 months from now, but they think he would be a good candidate for this procedure. Until then, he will have to go back to the heart failure clinic. His echo done last week showed a significant drop in performance (probably due to the infection).

Internal medicine came by with the great news that he was being discharged today, after the CVC  is removed from his neck. The kidney has responded so well, he no longer will be requiring dialysis. TheTransplant nurse called to say that someone was on their way down to remove the catheter and he would be getting his new prescriptions for medications from them. The nurse came in and announced that she just heard the great news that he was going home, so she was there to take his vitals one last time. We packed up everything in his two bags and sat back and waited. It was 3 o'clock. At four o'clock, I went down to the parking lot yet again to feed the meter for one more hour. After five o'clock, parking is free.

At five o'clock, we brought out the cards and played another game of Cribbage. At 5:30, his nurse came back in and told us that no one had signed discharge papers and she didn't think anyone would be coming.
It was getting dark and a lightening and thunder storm had started. I drove home in the worst storm I have ever driven in....rain so hard, the wipers couldn't keep the water off the windshield. The roads were flooded and the highway traffic could not go over 40 km per hour. I finally got home and called my Sweetie to let him know that I made it. I told him goodnight and call me in the morning when he learned what was going on.

At 8 o'clock tonight, after I started this blog, my Sweetie phoned to say they were discharging him. What???!!! The CVC is still in his neck. There were no prescriptions written. There is no follow-up treatment plan or appointment dates set up.  My husband is refusing to go. Someone will have to answer some questions first thing in the morning. He is still calling me in the morning to let me know what is going on.

6 comments:

  1. I don't know what to say, I'm flabbergasted by this hospital! Can you call the Internal Medicine doctor? Surely his service can get a hold of him in an emergency and this is an emergency! What the h.e. double hockey sticks?!

    I'm so sorry you got a ticket. Keep your stubs and contest it!

    I'm very glad that you made it through the storm safely, that must have been very scary. I don't like driving through storms, especially when it's getting dark too!

    I hope all is resolved in the morning, Susan. Good for your husband to refuse to be discharged until everything is in order!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Susan, I'm so sorry everything seems to be so disorganized at the hospital! Sorry you got a parking ticket, as well, and you had to drive home in the storm. So glad you got home safely. Hopefully, someone who knows what is going on will be available to answer your questions in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That all sounds very frustrating. Are you able to appeal the ticket? I think if you have both stubs you can show that you were not late and should not have to pay.

    I hope everything gets straightened out at the hospital. Disorganization adds nothing to an already stressful situation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan, thinking of you; hope all went well today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you guys. Yes, everything is fine. I brought him home yesterday. Will write a post this morning.

    ReplyDelete