Sunday, October 2, 2016

October's Shopping Trips

Yesterday, late in the afternoon, my Sweetie and I went for the first shop of October. We went to one grocery store (Freshco) where I thought they had the most specials on my list.

Sundries (non-food items) cost me $31.70






 The parchment paper and medium freezer bags were not on sale, so I bought the store brand. Notice also that I have bought another laundry detergent. That is because I still haven't picked up any washing soda. The last two stores I have looked for it but cannot find it. I also need it to make my Miracle Spray all-purpose cleaner, which I am running low on. I will try No-Frills later this week. 
Meat cost $22.20. 
 The eye of round was on for $2.77/lb. and the Italian sausage was $3.00/lb. The roast was cut into 3 chunks before I put it in the freezer.
Dairy totaled $12.89

 I was happy to find Becel Vegan margarine here at Freshco. I have always had to make a special trip to get this for my daughter before her visits, or to take her any baking. Now I will be able to buy it all the time.  I also bought plain yoghurt with active culture, so I can try to make my own yoghurt with my new machine I got last weekend. 
Pantry items (and that bag of Tostitos, haha) cost $17.94

Produce and juice cost me $9.48
This is where I got my biggest savings. The 10 lb. bag of carrots, potatoes, and onions each cost $1.97
The tins of DelMonte Veggies were .79 cents each, so I bought a case of peas. I may go back for niblets corn. The rutabaga was 59 cents a pound. The bananas were regular price of 56 cents a pound. But the orange juice (ahem Nathalie and Bless) believe it or not, was on sale for $4.49, a savings of $1.20. OJ is very expensive. I bought 2 loaves of Villagio bread for $4.58 (not pictured) for a total grocery receipt of $115.97  My savings due to sale items amounted to $46.30  I have not picked up my Shopper's gift card yet for this month.

Today, my Sweetie and I went out again to spend lots of money. Drat! Our printer is definitely finito. Staples had a sale on printers this weekend, so we went to check it out. We ended up buying a Canon (the ink cartridges appear to be slightly cheaper than other printers), two new cartridges, a $10  2 yr. warranty,  and some more printer paper for a total of $170......an unplanned expense this month.  We also stopped at the Dollar Tree for me to pick up some more 2-way tape for my crafting; but of course, I found a few more crafting items that appealed to me (though totally unnecessary), for under $10

While my son and his GF were setting up the printer for us, I went out to the garden to harvest more vegetables and my Sweetie went to the  Pop-In store to cash in a $5 winning lottery ticket. He bought 2 more tickets with his winnings, and won $100  instantly on a scratch ticket. He  gave me $60, so the price of the printer was only $110, and he kept $40 for his mad money to buy more lottery tickets. It should last him a couple of months. *laugh* 





9 comments:

  1. He won $100?! Wow! That's awesome! And how nice of him to give you some of it :)

    You got great deals on produce and meat this week. Yes, your OJ is expensive, I guess oranges don't grow in Canada, eh? You'd think it'd be pretty cheap here in Florida but I still think it's expensive, albeit not as expensive as in your neck of the woods.

    I hope you like your printer! It's so annoying when technology craps out on us, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And he gave me the "bigger" half. Ha. Fortunately, he doesn't spend a lot on lottery tickets. He is lucky though, and usually wins at least a free ticket from time to time to "keep in the game".

      I will enjoy my printer because it is a working printer. I must use it a lot because I sure have missed it.

      Delete
  2. Good prices on the meat, potatoes, onions, and carrots! OJ is expensive here, too. It's been a while since I last bought some, but I'll check the price, tomorrow, when I do my grocery shopping and let you know. Nice of your Sweetie to share his winnings with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, good prices on veggies this week. Guess what I will be doing in the next couple of days? I'm not sure where in the freezer I will have room to stash all of these veggies, but I will cram them in there. That was an excellent price on the eye of round...cheaper than hamburger.

      Delete
    2. I checked the price of OJ, at the store today: Tropicana, 1.75 l = $3.99; Minute Maid, 1.75 l = $2.99; store brand, 1.89 l (half gallon) = $2.00

      Delete
    3. Look at that. You made the conversions for me. The Tropicana that I bought on the weekend was 1.65 l at $4.49 ( a savings of $1.20 apparently.) So you were right. It is more expensive for you than I thought it would be, but certainly more affordable. I bought it for my Sweetie to allow his iron tablets to be absorbed better, but I will check the prices on generic OJ and also check out lemonade.

      Delete
    4. The liters were right there on the cartons. ;)

      Delete
  3. I looked at the picture and said...is that onions, that is a lot, those must be potatoes...read on and they are onions, potatoes and carrots!! Those are amazing prices. I am the only one in my household that likes orange juice so I never buy it unless there is a crazy sale and it is nearly free. It is a tasty treat for me but I totally understand because those iron pills are crazy stinky and I bet it makes them go down better and absorb better!!! Great trip!! I would have gotten so many bags of those potatoes...Aldi had the 10 lb bag at $4.49 for the last month. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this time of the year when the grocery stores sell their 10 lb bags of root vegetables for under $2. I love to stock up if I have the freezer space. Last year, one of the stores was selling 10 lbs of rutabaga for the same price. I haven't seen that sale yet.

    Yes, one of my hubby's doctors told us that orange juice with iron tablets allows the iron to be better absorbed. I am thinking maybe lemonade might have the same result.

    ReplyDelete