Saturday, October 15, 2016

Cribbage

My Sweetie did not get dialysis today because his blood test came back with good numbers. YAY!!!
So I went in for 10 o'clock this morning and stayed until 4 PM. It is Homecoming Weekend at Queens University. If there was going to be a problem finding parking, I wanted to be there early enough to get a spot on the Lakefront.

I took in the cribbage board and a deck of cards because I noticed yesterday that my husband is sitting up more and is awake for longer periods of time. We had one game where I beat him soundly (maybe I just barely won). He slept afterwards while I did some knitting. I started another dishcloth yesterday while they took him away for an ultrasound. He woke up in time for lunch and then we played another card game. He very nearly skunked me in the next two games. I left the game there with him in case he finds another card player, or if he wants to play solitaire. He still has his crossword puzzles and his DVD player.

Tomorrow, if they don't change their minds, he is being given a day pass. He is coming home between 10 AM and 6 PM. He is very excited about that.

Thursday morning we had a hard frost (read: we had to scrape it off the car windows). So yesterday before dinner, I went out and picked every tomato still left on the plants. I have them on a table in the front window of the living room where I hope they will ripen. I also picked all the peppers still left. They are still green and I don't think they will turn red. But if they don't, I will still slice them up and freeze them. Tomorrow, I hope to dig up what is left of the carrots, beets,  and potatoes. The reason I had time before dinner to go to the garden, is because my dear friends from Charleston Lake came to visit my Sweetie and I in the hospital and brought a quiche with them for me to warm up for my dinner at home. How wonderful.

I hope you all are having a wonderful weekend and enjoying the Autumn weather. I know my oldest son and his family are right now having some wicked weather in BC. We will try to phone them tomorrow to see if they still have power or phone lines. The news reports show a lot of downed trees and lots of people without power. Trusting that the family is all fine.

5 comments:

  1. Shoot Greg mentioned that his co-workers in Vancouver had reported having really bad weather since Wednesday and I knew that bad storms were going to be at their peak in the NW today but I had forgotten your oldest lives in Vancouver too. I hope he and his family are safe and don't lose power. Does he have a generator to operate his dialysis machine?

    How wonderful that your husband is able to beat you at the card game! It obviously shows an improvement in his overall health. I hope you guys enjoy a few quiet hours at home tomorrow. You have very caring friends (must be because you are a very caring person yourself!).

    I don't think the green peppers will turn red now that they're off the plant. At least mine never did, really. They just spoiled but it might have been because of the humidity. The tomatoes, usually, do ripen for me on the table.

    Do you have snow tires on now that you're getting hard frosts? When you do usually start getting snow up there? Greg's planning on driving to OH to visit his mom at our Thanksgiving (end of November) and I'm worried about him driving a Florida truck (we don't need snow tires down here!) up there that late in the year but he swears to me that it doesn't snow until December. Well maybe but late November is awfully close to December!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son doesn't have his Dialysis machine yet, but you brought up a good point about the power being out. So I asked my Sweetie. He doesn't remember if it had a backup battery or not. But simply, peritoneal dialysis can be done manually. You just need the bag of solution and a collection bag and use an IV pole to hang up the solution bags. My Sweetie was very good at doing it manually when he had to.

    This month is usually the time that people start thinking of changing out their tires, because of the possibility of black ice on the roads. My van already has snow tires but my husband needs to buy some. Snow has been known to fall in October. Snow has arrived early in November and never left until Spring. Last year, we had a green Christmas and we didn't get snow until January. Mother Nature doesn't give much warning. Today was incredibly warm (and humid) but also very rainy. Our warm weather is going well into the Autumn this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan, glad to hear that your Sweetie didn't need dialysis, yesterday. Hope he was able to come home for a visit, today. Hope all will be well with your son and his family and they will not be affected by the storm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. His creatinine levels are coming down on their own. His kidney is coming back slowly but surely. He was able to come home today and he loved being home.

    I just talked to my son and family tonight on face time on my Blackberry....eight o'clock here, five o'clock their time. They sustained no damage, or power outages; although some areas closer to the water were badly hit.

    ReplyDelete