Saturday, October 8, 2016

Saturday update

Well things can change quickly. Yesterday I was finally willing to accept the fact that perhaps my Sweetie didn't have any lung infection. The doctors were telling us that they couldn't hear any crackle in his chest. They couldn't find any evidence of bacterial infection after taking several vials of blood and trying to grow a culture. There was still fluid in his chest so it was the result of a failing heart not able to rid the body of excess fluid.

When I went in today around noon, the catheter was out. My Sweetie announced to me that he had not one, but two infections. One in his lungs and another in his kidney. The nurse was setting up the IV pole with two IV antibiotics, one right after the other. By the time I left at 4 o'clock, he had not voided (and he is on his regular dosage of diuretics) He should have gone 8 or 9 times in that 5 hour span. He had been sitting in his comfy chair instead of in bed during lunch and during the IVs. Before I left I helped him into bed. He overdid it, because he was not feeling well. The nurse was going to bring in a portable ultra sound to scan his bladder.

When he phoned me tonight, he had finally gone a little. The nurse is concerned, but a relief to me is the fact that the infection may not be in his transplanted kidney, but the bladder and urinary tract. They will probably be putting the catheter back on, and hopefully they will also put in a saline IV to flush him out. I will be phoning tomorrow morning. If he is not improved, I will not be going to Smith Falls.

3 comments:

  1. Oh Susan, I'm sorry. You're right, how quickly things change. It is good news that he doesn't have an infection in his kidney, though. hopefully the antibiotics will start kicking in and he'll feel better tomorrow. Best of everything to the both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, hoping and praying that your husband will feel better soon and all will be well. Take care of yourself, too. Thank you for keeping us informed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Susan, it sounds like you have had a hectic and stressful past few days. I hope that today brings better news and that you are able to rest (it's hard to be the caregiver). Sending lots of love and positive thoughts your way.

    ReplyDelete