Thursday, October 13, 2016

One week in the hospital

The day started out rainy, but has cleared up beautifully into a warm sunny Autumn day. I did not go into the hospital today. My Sweetie phoned this morning to tell me that they were going to take him to dialysis at 12:30 I couldn't stand the thought of another day like yesterday, so I stayed home this morning and slept. I was so tired. I need to be able to take care of him when he eventually gets home. I should have turned off the phone and gone back to bed, but I was afraid of missing a call from the hospital. I was so-o-o tired, I was able to fall back to sleep after each phone call I answered.
 
So this afternoon I ...

washed two loads of laundry, hung some scatter mats on the line, and will dry the second load in the dryer after 7 o'clock.

made a pitcher of iced tea 

folded  one load of laundry from yesterday, and put away.

washed some baking pans in the sink (my son and his GF made me some baked eggs with spinach and tomato which I have been nuking with some sliced ham for quick and hearty breakfasts)

washed the dog's dishes

scrubbed the toilets and sinks in the downstairs bathroom and my Master bathroom

After I have talked to my Sweetie on the phone, I will vacuum the carpeted staircase, the living room, dining room and kitchen.  It is driving me bananas with all the dust bunnies. Of course, there are things I try to do everyday like loading and unloading the dishwasher and cleaning the downstairs kitty litter.

Goals Update:

Money spent so far from my household budget is $261.81  Since last Wednesday's shop at the Bulk Barn and Giant Tiger, I spent another $50 on the gift card from Shopper's Drug Mart and $20.63 at the hospital coffee shop. After having spent $43.00 in parking fees over three days last week, I was able to find free parking on the Queen's campus over Sunday and holiday Monday. This week I have been paying the parking meters down on the Lakefront. It is only $1 for each hour to a limit of 3 hours at a time. So it means taking a long walk down to the parking lot, but so much better than paying those exorbitant hospital rates.  I am taking those parking fees from our gas and vehicles budget.

Outdoors work: I harvested more beans and tomatoes for the freezer.

Maintenance and preparedness: I peeled the ten pounds of carrots I bought on the first of the month, and froze several packets of julienned carrots and coins. I baked another batch of dog biscuits one morning before I went to hospital.

Cleaning projects: the two washrooms, today. It was not a deep clean. I did not wash the bathtub or shower surround, nor did I vacuum the floors.  I scrubbed the kitchen counters, the stove top  and the inside of the microwave.

Organization and purging: Nothing

Crafting: Nothing

My October Goals:  Nothing worked on and nothing accomplished yet, but the month is still young.

My son and his GF have tidied up my living room and made neat piles of my papers. They have baked me some egg omelets because I enjoy them, and they have brought me tea and baked goodies to the hospital for me to have. If I have a load of my laundry in the washing machine, they will throw it in the dryer for me. They washed and changed out my bed sheets on the weekend because they know I love to change them weekly.

Freebies received this week in the mail





Tylenol night time tablets and a quinoa cranberry granola bar




My Sweetie phoned at 6:10. He finally got back. They didn't take any weight off him. They just cleaned the blood and returned all the fluid back into his body. He says he feels good. They also put a central picc line into him so the nurses don't have to keep his IV catheter going. He had four IVs in the past week...all of them eventually failed. They need them to give him antibiotics and to take blood two or three times a day. Overall, today was a good day for both of us. Have a great night. 





10 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, Susan, how on earth did you manage to do all of this?!? It must be the stress. I'm glad you got to rest some and that your son and GF are helping out. I'm happy that your Sweetie is in good spirits and I hope his health keeps on improving!
    How smart of you to have found the much cheaper parking spots. The exercise will do you good, as annoying it must be to have to trek all the way back to the car and back to the hospital again. At least it's not snowing right now. I really look forward to reading your updates in the evenings, thanks for keeping us posted. Many hugs to you and your sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the hugs. I will share some of them with my Sweetie. *laugh* He sounded really good tonight. I hope he continues to get stronger. They will be doing a biopsy of his kidney, after he has been aspirin free for 5 days. I am off to bed now at 9:30. I already feel very much rested. I will be ready to take on the next week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan, you're awesome. Prayers are being said for your husband and you and your family. So great that your son and his GF are helping! Remember to take care of yourself.Peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I appreciate the prayers for myself and my husband. I will share a story about the power of prayer that has happened to my family already. When my young grandson was born over five years ago, he wasn't expected to leave the hospital, at least....not without a heart transplant. Everybody that I knew and lots of people that I didn't know, prayed for him. Eventually he did come home with prescriptions for five different heart medications. My son-in-law asked for and received a transfer to Toronto so they could bring their son to the Toronto Sick Kids Hospital. After one year, he was off ALL of his heart medications, and now he only goes to his cardiologist once a year. So I have experienced the power.

      Delete
  4. Susan, you got a lot done! I am so glad to hear that your husband sounded really good tonight. Hope he continues to recover without further complications. Take care of yourself. (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he sounded so much stronger. As of this morning, he still hadn't heard what his numbers were. It sounds like they are going to do a biopsy of the kidney after all.

      Delete
  5. So glad that your husband sounded stronger when you spoke with him in the evening. And so glad you were able to get some rest. It's so stressful to be running back and forth between hospital and home. It's nice that your son and his girlfriend have been so helpful to you during this time. Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is stressful for the caregiver. I was glad of the opportunity to take the day off yesterday. I am feeling stronger myself now because of it. I really appreciate the help I have received from my son and his GF. My son was able to spend some time with his dad last night at the hospital.

      My older son called his dad also. He lives in Vancouver and this week, his own nephrologist has told him that he will be fitted with a catheter by Christmas to begin his peritoneal dialysis. His kidneys have been failing, but it still comes as a shock when it happens. He teaches a grade seven class, and his doctor has suggested that he start cutting back his hours now, at least until he begins his dialysis.

      Delete
    2. Oh Susan, no. I'm sorry to hear this. What stressful news to add to your already stressful week. I hope your son is OK. Big HUGS.

      Delete
    3. Susan, sorry to hear the news of your older son needing dialysis. I hope all will be well with him. Keeping you all in my prayers.

      Delete