Monday, October 10, 2016

Thanksgiving Day



This is another post of my husband's hospitalization. Today was the worst day (hopefully) for my husband and myself.  The antibiotic that he was taking for his lung infection caused an allergic reaction called insterstitial nephritis. His kidney has shut down, but has not failed yet.  It is usually short-term. Once they stop the offending drug, the kidney should start working again. His potassium levels are high, which can lead to his heart stopping. They are giving him a drug for that twice a day, which will bind the potassium in his system and excrete it from the body. He is back on Oxygen. He will be on 3 different antibiotics through his IV for a week at least. He is extremely weak and wants nothing more than to sleep right now. The nephrology doctors are prepared to put him on dialysis if they need to, but they are hoping his kidneys will begin to work very soon. My hope is renewed. Tomorrow will be telling.

Needless to say, I did not go to Charleston Lake to have Thanksgiving dinner again today. I stayed with my Sweetie and watched him sleep. I didn't want to be anywhere else but by his side. My lovely friend had Thanksgiving dinner delivered to us (myself, my son and his GF) by her son and new DIL as they headed back to Toronto tonight. What a wonderful surprise, and very gratefully received. So I had a wonderful Thanksgiving meal today. I hope my Canadian friends and family enjoyed their Thanksgiving and that all of you had a very lovely weekend.

6 comments:

  1. Big (((((HUGS))))) to you, Dear Susan. Thinking about you guys and checking Feedly obsessively all day to see if there are any news, even though I know you'll be posting at night.

    What wonderful, caring friends you have. That's probably because you're a wonderful, caring person yourself. Do take care. Much love from us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an incredibly rough day, but tonight I am feeling really hopeful. I think we have turned a corner. Tomorrow I am actually going to blog about something other than a hospital update.

      I have the most incredible friends. I am blessed.

      Delete
  2. Susan, I'm so sorry to read about all the complications, but it sounds like the doctors are on top of things and have a plan in place. You must be tired and worn out with care. I am glad your friend had Thanksgiving dinner delivered to you. I'm keeping you and your husband in my prayers. (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every doctor who has examined my Sweetie has commented on how complicated his case is, but they have a plan. I am feeling bone tired tonight. I think it is because I feel a weight has lifted.

      It was wonderful to have a Thanksgiving dinner delivered right to my door last night, just moments after I returned home from the hospital. I have beautiful and caring friends.

      Delete
  3. Susan, thank you for updating us. Please know that there are lots of hugs and prayers being sent your way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dawn. I will take those hugs and prayers and well wishes and anything else you are sending my way. I will take them all. They will feed my soul.

      Delete